Une interview-débat entre Philémon Wachtelaer, président de « ...Lire plus
Digital Fabrication Studio
DFS 2016-17 / SEMESTER 2
Course langhauge: English
DIGITAL FABRICATION STUDIO is an immersive cross-disciplinary, technology, research and process orientated, architecture studio.
DFS is concerned with the increasing convergence and interaction between creative disciplines, engineering, and emerging technologies.
DFS will be questioning the fabric of things from the nanoscopic to the macroscopic level, with the objective to reveal the architecture of things.
DFS relies on the principles of collective intelligence and collaborative processes
DFS will function as a Workshop, and a production environment; students are therefore expected to produce as much as possible work in real time, during the sessions.
The Studio will be operating as a media and technology think tank.
Students will be asked to present, discuss and document their work at every session.
Students will be working individually during the whole semester.
Students will be requested to document their work on a regular basis, through photos, videos, writing,…
Each student will produce a resource book in the form of a publication to be presented at the end of the semester.
The Studio will therefore focus on:
- Immersing students within a production environment.
- Challenging the notion of authorship with principles of self-organization and emerging collaborative patterns.
- Bringing attention on the multidisciplinary character of architecture as a practice;
- Fomenting fast and creative exchange of ideas into built forms and highlighting the potential of innovation as an anti-ordinary approach to projects and practices.
- Learning to manage the resources involved into producing 1:1 scale prototypes.
- Learning to theorize and to develop a methodology based on research by production.
- Documenting, editing and publishing a research book.
DFS will be closely working with the FabLab, and other partnering research facilities within University and the private sector.
DFS operates on the principles of reverse and context engineering
Students will explore the concepts of DOING – UNDOING – REDOING
This year’s course will embark students on a 20-week workshop throughout which they will be researching a subject of their choice within the list further below.
This year studio will also be conducting a live project about a firemen station with a team of 4 students to be selected within the studio. The program will be hosting a team of 8-10 firemen for shift of 12 working hours. The building which is to be dismountable, and will be digitally conceived and fabricated.
Students will be:
- RESEARCHING & UNDERSTANDING
- CONFRONTING & CRITICISING IDEAS AND CONCEPTS
- DESIGNING + RATIONALIZING + REFINING
- 1:1 SCALE FABRICATION & PROTOTYPING
Research subjects are free but should include digital fabrication processes.
Topics may include:
- Architecture, Design & Engineering;
- Materials research & recycling
- Electronics and Robotics;
- Artificial Intelligence & Biomimetics;
- Smart and nano technologies;
- Computing & Software (Coding, BIM, CAD, CAE, CAM);
- Rapid prototyping…
Guest speakers & critics will include:
The studio final reviews will be held at the end of the end of the semester at FabLab ULB.
The following guest critics among others will be involved into the studio throughout the semester.
- Wissam Salim, Architect and Tutor at CAD, Brussels.
- Prof. Denis Terwagne, PhD applied Physics & researcher at Trios Lab, ULB.
- Phillipe Trice, Architect.
- Michele Moscatelli, Civil & Industial Engeneer.
- Quentin Bolsee, Computing & electronics Engeneer.
- Jeremy Grandclaudon, Computing Engeneer.
- Pierre Dejasse de Cafmeyer, Tutor & Architect.
- Angel Enciso, Psycho-analysist.
- Fire Department.
- Cécile Jodogne, Minister.
- Thiery Mercken, RBC Firemen Department Director.
- Emilie Moens, Architect, Ministry representative, Architect for the Fire Department.
A unit field trip to London will be organised at the end of the semester. Participation is highly recomended but not mandatory.
Acces & usage of the FabLab facilities is subject to fees.
Coordinateur DFS, Faculté d’Architecture
FabLab ULB & Digital Fabrication Studio Coordinator
Fiche officielle du cours
Voici le lien vers la fiche officielle du cours